What is Orthodontics?
Orthodontics is the branch of dentistry that corrects teeth and jaws that are positioned improperly. Crooked teeth and teeth that do not fit together correctly are harder to keep clean, are at risk of being lost early due to tooth decay and periodontal disease, and cause extra stress on the chewing muscles that can lead to headaches, neck, shoulder and back pain. Teeth that are crooked or not in the right place can also detract from one’s appearance.
Orthodontics at our practice
At our practice, we are pleased to offer comprehensive orthodontic treatments. Dr Etcell has studied extensively under many of the great Orthodontist educators in the world. Dr Etcell is a member of the International Association of Orthodontists, which shows that he is constantly learning about this branch of dentistry.
Orthodontic appointments – what to expect
- All our orthodontic treatments start with a consultation that involves the taking of intra oral and extra oral photos, models of the teeth and jaws, and three measurement xrays .
- We then have a detailed consultation about the options available.
- When treatment starts, you will usually need to come in around once per month for adjustment visits.
Orthodontic treatment can usually be divided into 2 phases of treatment.
Phase 1 treatment:
Phase 1 treatment can be started on children as young as 8 or 9 years of age! There are many children who do need help at that age. Of course children of this age have a mix of adult and children teeth. Issues that can be helped at this age include:-
- Anterior and posterior cross-bites. Where the lower teeth are outside the upper teeth.
- Severe jaw discrepancies. Where either upper or lower jaws are different in size to the other jaw.
- Severe crowding or loss of space. Where the teeth are so crowded, that the child gets teased or bullied at school
Phase 2 treatment:
Phase 2 treatment is for people with all their adult teeth. It involves braces being placed on the teeth for 18-36months depending on the difficulty. Orthodontic treatment can also be effected with braces that are on the ‘inside’, or behind the teeth. We can also supply ‘Gold’ braces, if you want to show them off!
We are also supported by a great group of Specialist Orthodontists in the surrounding area.