What is Active Maintenance?
We have changed the name of the ‘Oral Hygiene’ Department, to our ‘Active Maintenance’ Department. We did this because, once your mouth is in great shape, then we like to ‘Actively Maintain’ all your good work, and keep it great!
We like our patients to have examinations and professional cleaning and fluoride treatments, regularly to maintain their healthy teeth. The interval can vary depending on risk factors, like poor diet, smoking, or genetics, but it is usually every 6 months.
Your appointments at our practice
Active Maintenance involves attending regular examination appointments with us combined with professional scaling and cleaning with our hygienist. People join our active maintenance program to actively maintain their teeth and gums. If we do not ‘actively maintain’, even with good home hygiene, there will be a gradual deterioration of the mouth.
This occurs due to the build-up of deposits of hardened plaque which trap bacteria around the teeth causing chronic inflammation and resulting in bone loss.
Gum disease, is the start of Periodontal Disease, and is the number 1 cause of tooth loss in adults, world-wide!
There are many studies showing that unhealthy gums are linked to an unhealthy body – diseases such as:
- Heart disease and Vascular disease.
- Respiratory infections (because we breathe into our lungs, all the bacteria in inflamed gums)
- Premature and low birth weight babies
Gum disease and decay can be prevented by:
- Excellent home hygiene.
- A good diet.
- Using a fluoride toothpaste.
- Regular scaling and customised professional oral hygiene education.
- Quitting smoking.
Our active maintenance department will help you to:
- Monitor your oral health regularly.
- Identify your risk factors – age, smoking, diabetes, lifestyle factors.
- Treat disease, reduce the risk factors, and maintain oral health.
If the gum disease, or Periodontal Disease is advanced or persistent, you may require referral to a specialist periodontist. We work with many good Periodontists in our area.
Contact us today to book an appointment.